Norwegian Krone: Policy action shows currency strength is not just a problem unique to the Australian dollar
- Category: Exchange Rates
- Published on Thursday, 15 March 2012 10:09
- Written by Will Peters
Behind the falls was a 25 bp cut to the deposit rate at the Bank of Norway.
"The dilemma posed by trying to navigate a commodities driven boom while ensuring that the soaring currency does not inflict collateral damage on the economy is not just an Australian problem. The 25bp overnight cut by the Bank of Norway (which took the overnight deposit rate to 1.5%) showed that they too are concerned over currency strength, even though the latter is largely beyond their control," says a morning note from ANZ Bank.
Advertisement - Article Continues Below
Indeed, the Australian dollar has had a poor week, prior to today, and this will be welcomed by a country that is starting to notch up some weaker than expected economic data releases. Many are pointing fingers at the strength of the Australian dollar (Currency:AUD).
Back to Norway, "Governor Olsen could not be more explicit when he noted. 'the continuing downturn abroad and the strong krone are contributing to keeping inflation low and are weighing on growth in Norway,'" say ANZ Bank.
Prior to the rate cut the krone had reached a nine-year high as investors lapped up the higher returns offered by AAA rated Norway, and while the krone has eased a touch since then it may only be a temporary respite.
Latest Exchange Rate News
- Pound to euro exchange rate (GBP/EUR): Sterling Rally Comes to an Abrupt End
- Euro to Pound Sterling Exchange Rate: EUR/GBP Heads Higher as EUR/USD Rallies
- Pound sterling vs Australian and New Zealand dollars: GBP continues to be battered by NZD, temporary relief vs AUD
- Euro exchange rate today: Inflation data fails to provide the impetus for EUR to recover vs USD and GBP
- Aus dollar trades with fresh menace; are we going to see further gains ahead?
- Euro forecasted to slump against Australian dollar by UniCredit Bank
- Australian dollar outlook turns increasingly constructive as AUD outperforms all others on FX markets today
- NZ dollar: UBS forecasting further gains in the value of the New Zealand dollar
- British pound sterling shoots up against the euro and US dollar (but GBP/USD suddenly plunges!)
- Euro dollar exchange rate outlook for today: EUR/USD predicted to resume downside correction
- Why is the Pound Sterling Stronger Today? The Latest News, Views and Outlook for the pound exchange rates
- Swiss Franc to Pound Sterling (CHF/GBP): "There is a malaise around Swiss monetary policy"
- Australian Dollar exchange rate predictions: AUD boosted by jobs data, GBP predicted to stay strong though
- Euro Exchange Rate Today: Outlook for EUR Remains Positive, but Key Resistance Levels Ahead
- US Dollar vs Pound Sterling exchange rate: GBP is down, but not out
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count