Euro pound exchange rate downside forecasted to be capped as authorities grow uneasy about GBP-EUR strength
- Category: Exchange Rates
- Published on Monday, 20 August 2012 14:02
- Written by Will Peters
However, there is much to support sterling in the meantime - RBS' own forecasts show the GBP-EUR rate at 1.25 in September.
- For the latest investment bank FX Forecasts please visit our International Money Transfer forecasts page, access is Free via the Facebook gateway here
The pound to euro is 0.16 pct in the blue, GBP-EUR is seen at 12743 at 14:50 in London.
RBS have today forecast that further gains in the pound euro exchange rate could ultimately be limited as authorities grow uneasy with the pound's relative strength against the single currency.
Melinda Burgess at RBS says:
"With trade weighted GBP close to 4 year highs, there is a sense of growing unease within the MPC to the recent strength of GBP, particularly against the EUR.
"This could potentially see the BoE change its stance on rate cuts. As we mentioned in last week’s report, we don’t think we’re alone in this view and so market yields have the potential to provide a natural cap on EUR/GBP downside."
However, there is much to support sterling in the meantime - RBS' own forecasts show the GBP-EUR rate at 1.25 in September, 1.28 in December and 1.30 in March 2013. .
For now there is notably little discussion within the MPC this month around a rate cut.
In addition, expectations for further easing have diminished following the Inflation Report press conference which suggested that a cut might be counter-productive.
Also backing the pound is recent UK data that has surprised to the upside providing support to GBP.
"However the Jubilee, Olympics and weather are likely to have resulted in some distortions to retail sales and the labour market. While an upward revision to the second release of Q2 GDP (Friday), ultimately we expect a contraction in the economy this year and only a sluggish rebound in 2013," says Burgess.
Hence, this is unlikely to change the monetary policy outlook.
Risks remain skewed to a further £50bn of QE in November.
With the ECB posed to take more action and Germany reportedly considering easing Greece’s bailout terms there is risk of a correction higher in EUR/GBP in the short term. Hence, focus will be on the Greek meetings with the EU and Merkel later this week.
Latest Exchange Rate News
- Pound sterling outlook: MPC Minutes dominate today's picture, GBP/USD and GBP/EUR both forecast to be under pressure
- British pound in fresh sell-off as short-term outlook deteriorates; Lloyds Bank forecast GBP to bounce back
- The British pound sterling forecasted to trade neutral ranges but excitement tipped to increase as week progresses
- British pound sterling outlook this week determined by Bank of England MPC Minutes ref: GBP/USD, GBP/EUR
- British pound sterling ends week off on a poor note; any excuse to buy the US dollar will do
- British pound sterling today: GBP in comeback against US dollar, but technicals suggest the currency pair is leaning towards losses
- Pound sterling advances versus New Zealand dollar as NZD tracks AUD lower; NZ budget proves unhelpful
- Pound sterling versus US dollar: Technical forecaster warns pound sterling to slip further versus USD
- Beware: Impending pound sterling weakness ahead, GBP at risk of negative data surprises
- US dollar strength witnessed 'across the board' - but can we expect the USD to continue appreciating?
- British pound sterling: GBP needs to break 1.56 in order to maintain positive momentum, UK economic data propels sterling higher
- New Zealand dollar: NZ currency unlikely to see further aggressive RBNZ intervention say Barclays
- Stall alert: British pound sterling rally could be about to hit the ceiling on foreign exchange markets
- British pound sterling: GBP recovers against the euro on strong PMI data; EUR under pressure as US employment data confirms USA's outperformance
- British Pound Sterling: GBP rockets up against the euro; next challenge Bank of England related challenge comes with the arrival of Mark Carney
Latest on The Economy News
- Update: Nokia Corporation (ADR) + Research In Motion Ltd: Why Google Inc's project X and Amazon's smartphone will squeeze the life out of industry margins
- Nokia Corporation (ADR) (NOK) + Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) forecasted to suffer hefty share price losses as entire sector is tipped to suffer
- Updated: Apple Inc. and QUALCOMM, Inc. see ratings downgraded to Sell ahead of “hardware at cost or a loss” era
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) and QUALCOMM, Inc. (QCOM) shares are a SELL with Berenberg Bank who say margin pressures are set to overwhelm Technology Hardware sector
- Pound to euro exchange rate (GBP/EUR) forecast: Momentum suggests further declines, but one analyst is tipping a return to 1.18 level
- Update: ARM Holdings plc (ARM) stock breaks support at 1041, forecasting declines to 971 next
- ARM Holdings plc (LON:ARM): Liberum Capital's Sell call on ARM now justified as Intel Corporation makes concrete inroads onto ARM's turf